Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Chosen

It’s dawn, I can see the sun creeping up from behind the valley; but most of the others are still sleeping. I love this time of day, it’s the time I can reflect and think of what might have been. I have been here, wherever here is, for as along as I can remember; the itchy beds, bland food, affectionate visitors and monotonous cycle of everyday life.

Katharine is here, she always feeds us early. In a flash the enclosure is in a buzz, the occupants run to the feeding trays, eyes starring expectantly at her, it was a frenzy of hungry bodies waiting to eat. Seconds later, everyone slowly backs away from the trays. This was followed by a continuous growl; this growl is known by many and feared by all, it marked the entrance of Maximus 4000. From the very first time I set foot in this place, i knew, and everybody else knew that Maximus was the boss. If you asked around about Maximus you will find that he is the most ferocious and abusive occupant to ever have come through here.

Maximus stops growling and starts devouring the already sparse food. No one stops him, no one would even dare. After the incident he walks away and goes to his own little ‘territory’ where nobody is allowed to enter.

With a personality like Maximus has there is no doubt why he hasn’t been chosen. Being chosen is a mystery. Usually some random visitor comes for an hour or two; holds you, pats you, you know the drill. If they like you Katharine comes and takes you away. No one is sure where you go, but many have tried to escape to the outside world. Well you know what they say ‘curiosity kills the cat’.

Anyway, today is the day that those overly affectionate visitors come and take us away; most of us go willingly, but some do protest. I have been picked up many times and it seems like I am about to be chosen when they spot a cuter, better tempered individual and put me aside. There was something different about today, I had the feeling that I was going to leave here and that my life would change forever.

It’s time, and most of us now know the drill, look sad, draw their attention, be affectionate, but do not smother, walk away, this adds some mystic and finally purr and look like the cutest thing ever to have graced their presence. Easy they say! We have turned being ‘chosen’ into an art form, years of practise and a great number of near triumphs.

Suddenly, a young girl enters the enclosure; she glances at me, and has to do a double take. Slowly, she moves towards me, at this moment I know what it feels like to be chosen , and that I am going to be safe with my knew owner. As she picks me up, I meow goodbyes to my fellow felines and start my new life with a new name, Moonlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment